Yahoo Groups

tmansteve

Yahoo Groups

Post by tmansteve » 15 Apr 2010, 13:23

Hi

I would like to know if you can download images from Yahoo Groups. If possible help with settings would be great. Some groups only have images in the files section and not the photos section.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maksym
Site Admin

Re: Yahoo Groups

Post by Maksym » 16 Apr 2010, 11:03

I created a test project for Yahoo Groups and successfully downloaded photos from both "Files" and "Photos" sections. My settings were:

Starting address: groups.yahoo.com/group/GROUP_NAME/
----Plus the "Manual login (for websites with HTML forms)" box checked - that's important.
Target Files: *.jp*
Exploration Type: Regular site -> Current directory and deeper.
----Plus the "Download files from external sites" box checked.

Basically this is it. But I also added some Excluded URL filters to speed-up the process. Here is the list:

/cal/
\?tab=
members
polls
ymsgr\:
/tn/
/create

Also for some groups you may want to use the following starting URL to download only from the "Files" section:

groups.yahoo.com/group/GROUP_NAME/files/

But the main problem with Yahoo Groups is: they prevent auto-downloading after some short period of time... They ban your IP temporarily when they decide you're using auto-downloading program like Extreme Picture Finder. So I suggest you to use only 1 simultaneous connection (the default value is 5 in Extreme Picture Finder)... This may help you download more files before their system decides you're auto-downloading. But I'm not sure about it.

tmansteve

Re: Yahoo Groups

Post by tmansteve » 18 Apr 2010, 20:05

Thanks for the info. I will give it a go and see what happens. I will update with findings.