Installation Issue

Sadmuppet

Installation Issue

Post by Sadmuppet » 24 Oct 2022, 19:29

Hi

Normally when a new version of EPF comes out, I just run the installer and it installs over the top of the last one, no problem.

The current version update online however doesn't - I click to the point of installing and then it just sits on Creating Directories and........nothing. I have to go to Task Manager and kill the installer which is unresponsive.

I tried the same EXE on another PC which didn't have it installed and it installed fine. I re-ran with admin access and same thing.

IF I uninstalled the current version, would it lose my current configuration etc or would it be safe? I don't want to uninstall it and install the newer version if I lose the config, conversely, I have no idea why THIS update doesn't go over the top, but every single one previously has just installed without issue.

Any ideas?

Maksym
Site Admin

Re: Installation Issue

Post by Maksym » 25 Oct 2022, 12:37

The admin access is 100% required for the installation. The program simply won't install correctly if you do not allow admin access for the installation script.

Even when installing over an existing installation - you need admin access. Also make sure that EPF directories are not locked by any other application. Another thing that can prevent a normal installation execution is your anti-virus software. Try turning it off before running the installation and then turn it back on.

And if you want a complete re-install and do not want to lose your projects - backup the EPF "Data folder". This is where all projects and templates are stored. You can find the location of the "Data folder" in Extreme Picture Finder settings, "Advanced" section. By default the folder is:

C:\ProgramData\Extreme Picture Finder

Simply copy the content of this folder to a backup location and after the re-installation - copy it back.

If you want to backup program settings - you'll need to export the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Extreme Internet Software\Extreme Picture Finder 3