ProgramData Permissions

swgoldwing

ProgramData Permissions

Post by swgoldwing » 02 May 2019, 21:13

Hi
I recently upgraded a Windows/7 (pro) machine to Windows/10 (pro).
The permissions on c:\ProgramData did not include my logged in ID (even though the Administrators group was there with all permissions).

The permissions as set did not allow me to create and/or delete EPF projects. Updating the folder permissions to include my logged in id with all permissions resolved the issue.. per se.

The issue I'm noting here is that EPF didn't issue any error in trying to create and/or delete project files in that folder. EPF just didn't do anything. I might suggest you check for an error in creating/deleting/updating files in ProgramData and pop an error if the operation really wasn't performed as expected.

In general, for 99.9% of users, installing EPF on a Win/10 system works fine operationally. I think the issue probably only occurs in systems migrated to Win/10

Thanks
Scott

Maksym
Site Admin

Re: ProgramData Permissions

Post by Maksym » 03 May 2019, 11:39

Thank you very much for the detailed report!

Have you tried running EPF as Administrator?

swgoldwing

Post by swgoldwing » 03 May 2019, 19:00

Running EPF as administrator works fine, and all operations work ok (as expected(!)).

I could set the exe to always run as administator, but my main reason for the post was to highlight the potential problem should some other user have a problem creating/removing EPF projects with no visible indication as to why the operation was working.

I have lots of other apps which have the same permissions problems which don't get updated ok in the windows migration process... like in "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files".. an annoying issue with migration. But, such is life with Microsoft.

Thanks for a nifty program

Scott

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 04 May 2019, 11:21

OK, thanks for information once again Scott!