new search project with "color" codes google

Fotoguy

new search project with "color" codes google

Post by Fotoguy » 21 Jun 2018, 12:36

Hello,

I use EPF to search for inspirational photo's in fashion photography.

The classic keywords also used in Google work fine, but when I searched via Google i got more results when I used the "tools" to search only for a certain main color in the photo (red, yellow, pink, as in the drop down menu in Google images/pictures search)

Is there a way to implement this in the search words I input in EPF ?
I tried isc:red for example, as I see in the url for that google search, but it does not give satisfactory results.
It's even better when I put just "red" and my search terms in EPF.

My question is : does google use certain "code" to go search for "red" photo's (or any other color from the drop down menu), in stead of when I put "red" in the search terms where I think it searches for photo's that have "red" in the description on their page.
If so : what's the syntaxis for it ?

I also tried to put the url from my "colored" google search as a normal project as starting url (normal site, only current page, download from external sites), but that gives only few results (62 last check) -
("current folder & below" or "complete website" (I use dutch version, maybe the translation is a bit different in the Englisch version) ) do'nt word (only a few or no pictures.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !

greetings !

Maksym
Site Admin

Re: new search project with "color" codes google

Post by Maksym » 22 Jun 2018, 12:14

Right now the built-in google image search uses only default search settings - no color or size preferences.
I also tried to put the url from my "colored" google search as a normal project as starting url (normal site, only current page, download from external sites), but that gives only few results (62 last check) -
("current folder & below" or "complete website" (I use dutch version, maybe the translation is a bit different in the Englisch version) ) do'nt word (only a few or no pictures.
Yeah... It won't work just like that. I'll try to create a template for custom Google searches. I'll write here if I succeed.

Fotoguy

Post by Fotoguy » 22 Jun 2018, 12:59

Hello,

What I do now is copy the url from google with the color type selected, AND a date selected (from now till 1 year back) and then paste it in a notebook file.
Repeat with all the color types (12)
AND repeat those 12 with different dates (currently I use '17 to '18, '16 to '17 and '15 to '16)
This gives 36 different urls.

I copy them to a notebook file, so I can replace the search terms easy by find and replace.

Then I paste these 36 urls in the start url box of a new project (normal site, only current page, download from external sites).
This gives about 50-80 results per url, and about 2500 to 3200 results total per project, not all that much doubles (depends also on the search terms of course)

I'ts a workaround to counter the low result count when using google urls, and does not give that many doubles.

When I search for the same words in "search project" I usually get around 600 results (for the words I use anyway...)

Wanted to share this, but of course it would be great if you could create a template.

I bougt the program, lifetime updates.
A great inspiration source for me as a photographer.

Thanks !

greetings

Freddy

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 25 Jun 2018, 17:49

OK, please try this template:

www.google.com - custom image search template

Fotoguy

Post by Fotoguy » 25 Jun 2018, 20:24

Thank you very much for the so fast response !

I tried the template (only on one search) and it got me 544 results.
When I input my start-url and don't use the template I get 72 results.
So there is a definitive improvement ! Thanks.

When I look at project properties afterwards I see that the start url got expanded from 1 to 10 lines.
I tried to manually expand further, untill I had 41 url's instead of 10 (by incrementing the last number further) and I got 528 rsults :D
... so it's not that simple, I could only try ...

With the system I described above (using a notebook file where I just change the search terms via "find and replace" and input 36 url's based on color and over 3 seperate years i get fot the same search terms 2689 results (and still remarkebly little rubbish and doubles -> these can be filtered out with visipics)

It is less user friendly this way, but gives me more results still.

Is there a way to write a template that searches by color (the 12 in google search) and also by year (3 seperate for example), so automating what I do manually ?
I suppose for any kind of search separating the url's by color (and year) will yield more reults.

Your template is a lot less fuss of course, wich is great !
Just input the search terms and results x7.5 !

(and I know from my own work it's not fun when I do something, and the client wants some things changed still... so very much appreciated writing the template ! Don't get me wrong please :) Just suggesting... and wondering if it is even possible )

Thanks again !