Extreme processor utilisation

Omoronovo

Extreme processor utilisation

Post by Omoronovo » 24 Jan 2011, 22:49

Hey there. I have been trying to use this software on many machines (through various reformats) for the last 8 months or so. Functionally, it's EXACTLY what I need - and if it didn't lock up every few minutes with 100% cpu usage, I would have already purchased it.

According to my googling, and a little investigative work, I've discovered that:

After approximately 5 minutes on a dual core 2.2ghz turion x2 with 4gb of ram, the application stops processing requests, and the thread EPF.exe!madTraceProcess+0x294454 takes over and starts messing stuff up. This lasts approximately 3 minutes, and then returns to normal.

On my desktop machine (4ghz 920, 12gb ram), this still occurs about 5 minutes in, but lasts only about 30 seconds. Same thread causing the issues.

What does this thread do? Is it something that can be removed, or rewritten, to stop it causing this problem?

This is the only issue that's preventing me from purchasing this application. Others simply don't compare to the range of options this one provides - but until this cpu usage problem gets fixed, I simply cannot justify dropping $50 on it.

Maksym
Site Admin

Re: Extreme processor utilisation

Post by Maksym » 25 Jan 2011, 11:52

What version do you have now?
Omoronovo wrote:After approximately 5 minutes on a dual core 2.2ghz turion x2 with 4gb of ram, the application stops processing requests, and the thread EPF.exe!madTraceProcess+0x294454 takes over and starts messing stuff up. This lasts approximately 3 minutes, and then returns to normal.

On my desktop machine (4ghz 920, 12gb ram), this still occurs about 5 minutes in, but lasts only about 30 seconds. Same thread causing the issues.

What does this thread do? Is it something that can be removed, or rewritten, to stop it causing this problem?

This is the only issue that's preventing me from purchasing this application. Others simply don't compare to the range of options this one provides - but until this cpu usage problem gets fixed, I simply cannot justify dropping $50 on it.
This thread is used for bug reports. It's not supposed to act at all before error happened. It can be removed. I can create a special version without this module for you. Will you try it?

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 25 Jan 2011, 12:30

I would be happy to test it for you. I am currently at work so i would be unable to test it until I got home, but if you upload a modified version before then I could probably test it before the end of the day.

From what (little) I have been able to tell by using ProcessExplorer, the actual download threads use very little CPU time, so I should be able to tell quickly if the change had any effect.

Do you have any idea why this thread would take up so much CPU time without an actual error occurring?
Now that I think about it, does this thread activate for web page errors or just program/script errors? The imageboard I am downloading from uses "fake" HTTP 404 errors to show when am image can't be found, but it still loads a web page if an image had been previously deleted etc. Could this be the cause?

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 25 Jan 2011, 12:38

Also, my current version is 3.13.2.0.

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 25 Jan 2011, 12:46

OK, I'll let you know when the updated version is ready.
Omoronovo wrote:Do you have any idea why this thread would take up so much CPU time without an actual error occurring?
Now that I think about it, does this thread activate for web page errors or just program/script errors? The imageboard I am downloading from uses "fake" HTTP 404 errors to show when am image can't be found, but it still loads a web page if an image had been previously deleted etc. Could this be the cause?
This thread should act only when there is a program error inside Extreme Picture Finder's executable module.

By the way, I've been trying to make Extreme Picture Finder eat 100% of CPU - couldn't do that. The most CPU-consuming task in EPF right now is page parsing. This is when the program can take all the CPU but I thought that this was fixed in earlier versions... So, I'd like to know how you are using the program: download from a website or searching fop images using keywords? If downloading - then I'd like to have your project settings. If there is a password in it - you can send the settings to support@exisoftwar.com

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 25 Jan 2011, 12:58

It's downloading images from one page at a time, queue depth of 0 but I have generated a long list of base URL's to scan. There are a few exceptions to prevent the downloading of advertisements, but nothing that should be too taxing - I certainly think that my relatively slow 6mbit internet service should be the bottleneck, rather than my Core i7 processor, anyway.

I would still be happy to send you the project settings, but as I mentioned, I am currently at work so I have no access to it right now.

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 25 Jan 2011, 14:47

OK, I guess I see now. How long is your URL list?

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 25 Jan 2011, 19:12

Maxim wrote:OK, I guess I see now. How long is your URL list?
I have tried various lengths.

The problem starts from around 200+, but that's because the queue finishes before the lag spike occurs. The total url list is approximately 145,000 entries long - which means it's spread over two projects, since it only allows you to generate 99999 at a time. :)

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 26 Jan 2011, 13:44

OK, please download updated version (3.13.2.1):

http://www.exisoftware.com/picture_find ... rSetup.exe

I think now the CPU usage on your kind of projects will stay below 60% most of the time.

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 26 Jan 2011, 23:09

Thank you for posting an updated version so quickly!

I received a new router today, so I haven't been able to test it until now - and right now, the site I have been running the project on is down for maintenance, so I may not be able to test it until later this evening. I will keep you apprised, however.