Extreme processor utilisation

Omoronovo

Re: Extreme processor utilisation

Post by Omoronovo » 27 Jan 2011, 01:29

Okay, I have performed some testing of it. to make sure I wasn't having problems with the old project, I deleted all the previously-downloaded files and just started again.

Basically, the UI no longer locks up, but that same thread ( EPF.exe!madTraceProcess+0x924424) now runs constantly, and the application did not get past "resolving" when it reached the first url to parse. I'm sure you're going in the right direction with it, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the specific issue I'm having (and in fact seems to have made it worse - previously it would lock up but still download files, now it locks up then stays like that indefinitely).

I will email you the project I'm currently running so you can more accurately test this phenomena yourself.

On a slightly related note, I noticed that the application resolves the host name for every image that it downloads, regardless of whether the site is the same as one that it has previously downloaded from (even just a few seconds beforehand). Would it be possible to put in some kind of delay so that it will only resolve the same domain after say, 30 minutes of downloading? I noticed it putting a major delay on the overall download process.

Thanks again for looking into this, it really is appreciated. And I'm glad to help in any way I can.

Omoronovo

Post by Omoronovo » 27 Jan 2011, 11:18

Okay, I have now had the time (and opportunity) to do some more extensive testing.

The problem I encountered beforehand (locking up all the time) was due to the old project file - apparently the changes made to 3.13.2.1 made the old project file problematic. I remade the project file from the start and it now functions properly.

The only issues that still remain are where project property pages randomly disappear (lose all saved information), but this is a minor nuisance compared to the problems I encountered before. I will continue to monitor it, but even on my lower powered laptop, I was able to now saturate my 6mbit internet connection using only 20% cpu processing power - and this was with 15 download threads.

Thanks again for looking into this, I will now most likely buy the program when the 20 days/20k limit is reached on my current trial version (assuming no other major problems are found during my testing, of course).

Maksym
Site Admin

Post by Maksym » 27 Jan 2011, 12:16

OK, great. I think I know what's the problem with the project settings loss. It happens only when project has too many starting URLs and you're starting it before the save procedure is not finished yet. I'll try to fix it ASAP.